Obtaining an Arkansas Marriage License

Getting married in Arkansas is probably easier than you think!   Here is some information that you may find helpful.

  • There is no waiting period in Arkansas and no blood tests are required.   This means you can obtain your marriage license and get married the same day!
  • You are not required to have witnesses to the wedding, so it can just be the 3 of us.
  • There is no waiting period after a divorce in Arkansas.  
  • You may apply for your license at any County Clerks Office in the state.  The license is valid anywhere in the state of Arkansas.
  • Here is a list of the counties in Arkansas that has contact information for the individual county clerks.   https://www.arcounties.org/counties/
  • It costs approximately $60 to obtain a marriage license.   This fee must be paid in cash.
  • You must both apply for the license at the same time.   You cannot go separately.
  • After obtaining the license, you will have 60 days to use it and return it to the County Clerk in the county in which you obtained the license.    If you do not use the license, it must still be returned or you will be fined $100.
  • If you are 18 or older, you do not need a parent's permission to obtain a license.  However, females that are 16 or 17 can be married with parent's consent.  Males may get married at the age of 17 with parental consent.
  • If you are under 21,  you must or under must present a state-certified copy of their birth certificates or an active Military Identification Card or valid passport. 
  • If your name has changed through a divorce and your driver's license does not reflect this change, you will need to bring a certified copy of your divorce decree.
  • Males and females 21 or older may present a valid driver's license showing their correct name and date of birth or any of the following documents:   original or certified copy of birth certificate, active Military Identification Card or valid passport.
  • If you have been previously married, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
  • If you need more information about getting married in Arkansas, call (501) 661-2336 or (800) 637-9314.


Arkansas is one of the few states offering a "Covenant Marriage License".   In order to have a Covenant Marriage Licenses issued, which is optional, you must go through several months of counseling by a minister, priest, rabbi clerk of the Society of Friends, any clergy member of any religious sect, a licensed professional counselor, licensed associate counselor, licensed marriage and family therapist, licensed clinical psychologist or licensed associate marriage and family therapist.  

Here is a .pdf document that explains the covenant license and the requirements to obtain one:

Note:   The Covenant license requires premarital counseling.  I am not a trained or certified counselor.   I can perform the marriage ceremony but I am not able to provide the required counseling.